Failure To Love...God's Word Ever So Reassuring...

Just as this week began, I was beginning to be ever so close to God and I was feeling quite good, having been without much trouble to face and having firmly been trusting in God and having been filled with the joy that comes from Him alone. I had been reading the Bible a whole lot more, before the start of this week…and somehow it’s just that the other day, the moment I turned to the back pages of my Bible which contained a reader’s help where one could find verses pertaining to specific areas, I suddenly felt drawn into reading more and more. Some of the areas I looked at were like God’s promises when we feel guilty, are disappointed, are depressed or are anxious. And, God’s promises when we are in need, suffer or fail. Other verses I looked up were pertaining to what to read when we need comfort, the world seems enticing; we need assurance of salvation and are prone to judging others. Finally, I also looked at what to read if we wonder about our spiritual gifts and are challenged by dark forces. Well, I can’t possible quote so much from the Bible, but truly, these verses really gave me much encouragement, helped me to overcome certain problems and allowed me to know and trust the Lord, and it gave me strength as I thought about my circumstances and also about the struggles that many are facing in school, especially people who I know did badly for the prelims…in some sense, initially, I was reading the Bible to find these verses of encouragement. And, well, some of the things I read which I’ve mentioned above include also what I read the past few days as I faced struggles at the start of this week. So yea, as you can guess, having had felt such closeness with God just before the week began, I had problems at the start of this week.

But, well, all these stemmed from my failure to love…and it’s quite ironic that it was precisely the message at chapel this Monday, about love. Just when I had heard the message about love, I failed to do it well the start of this week. Before I get into that, here’s a short summary of the heart-warming message about love at chapel on Monday. Well, just a couple of weeks back I rmb sharing about the message on love at my church, this message though also taken from 1 Corinthians 13, spoke to me in different ways. The speaker, talked about how we sometimes regard love just so superficially as a feeling, but told about how love as described by the Bible is different, IT IS OTHER’S CENTRED AND NOT SELF-CENTRED…with patience, kind, not envious, not boastful, not rude, not self-seeking, not easily angered and keeps no record of wrong, rejoices in the truth and always protects, always trusts, always hopes and always perseveres. This spoke to me in that it made me realise that when we truly love others, we would want to make friends for our concern for others and for our desire to touch other people’s lives, and not for our own benefit, so it made me wonder if truly, my desire was unselfish. Well, so it just made me really want to touch others and love others, and though I got to be honest, I’d be lying if I said that I don’t want friendship for my own benefit, but in heart I must say too I really do genuinely want to touch the lives of others around me, just out of my concern for others. So, anw, this week I had quarrels twice and treated people in an unkind way and even took my anger out on others…to put it simply, I don’t think I displayed the qualities of love and my actions weren’t the least mature and I completely showed none of the fruits of the spirit. But, truly, after Monday and Tuesday’s incidents, I prayed for the Lord to forgive me and make me a better person, just like what it says in the song, “The Potter’s Hand”. I know that by my own power, I will not be able to develop the kind of character that the Lord desires for me, but only by the power of God, and I know each day through troubles and mistakes, the Lord is slowly shaping me into a man after God’s own heart, and to become a righteous and godly person. I trust that the Lord will transform me and truly I’m just working at it each day to be a better person. And, on top of out that I was so worried that past few days that something had come over me, for as I mentioned, I was treating people badly, but it was all coz, suddenly I become so easily angered and I felt like I was going crazy, for out of nothing, I just wanted to burst into anger and I was kicking up a fuss about every little thing. Well, I hope it was because I’m too stressed out or something, or am not feeling well, coz at least I know I can give myself a break and that may ease it. But, truly, I just prayed to God that He would really guard my heart and mind, and help me to come back to my senses almost, and for His presence to be upon me, so that I would not be influenced by anything other than God’s word. I prayed for patience and a calm spirit so as not to lose my temper, and truly, all I want to do is live a life that is holy and pleasing to God, and to be able to love others, displaying all the fruits of the spirit, so that I may bring glory to God. Today, I really know that God has answered my prayers, for truly, I felt reassured that He reigns in me and that the Lord is helping me to become a better person.

And, even today for devotions, God reminded me about a truth that has sustained me till now, through all my struggles, troubles, fear, failures and inadequacies, and that is to rejoice in the Lord no matter what we face in life, good or bad. Well, I mean, to be joyful in all circumstances. And, with regards to anything I’m going through now, I was reminded that I should not be worried about anything, but instead trust in God for He is king of all and His plan for us is perfect, and I was reminded to seek the Lord thru prayer and He will answer my prayers. So, just like how I’ve prayed to God to make me a better person, I need not worry but trust that the Lord will do just that. I’m also further convicted, that no matter how daunting the ‘A’ Levels look, the Lord will be faithful and see me thru.

The verses were:


This is the day that the Lord has made;
Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
(Psalms 118: 24)

Do not be anxious about anything,
But in everything,
By prayer and petition,
With thanksgiving,
Present your requests to God.
(Philippians 4: 6)

Finally, today as I had a 2 and a half hour break in school after assembly, somehow with so much time to spare, instead of studying I felt led to read the daily bread for the three months, September, October and November. I didn’t just read the devotion for today but so feverishly read almost every single page in a matter of an hour or so. Well, not the recommended thing to do but I did that anyway. And, it really spoke to me in a multitude of ways, some extremely relevant to my situations some not so but all meant so much to me and were really reassuring. It made me able to comprehend my circumstances and just allowed me to mediate on the word and just seek God through prayer as I use the word of God in my heart to overcome the storm within me and to combat all of the temptations and bad part of me I guess. Anw, so here’s the verse and the learning points:


Thus says the Lord of your hosts:
“Consider your ways!”
(Haggai 1: 7)

The learning point here is that a life with our own comforts and wants as our priority is empty and dissatisfying. But God loves us, and we should put God first in everything. When Christ is the centre of your interests, life will be in focus.


He who calls you is faithful,
Who also will do it.
(1 Thessalonians 5: 24)

Well, this verse reminds us that whenever we face so many tasks and responsibilities, or even just like as we have to face examinations or competitions, we are somehow worried that we cannot do well enough or haven’t put in our full effort. But, just as God can help a busy pastor who only managed to complete ill-prepared sermon into a great sermon, so as long as we put in our full effort for God in all that we do, within our means, we can trust God and leave the rest to Him. So rmb do your best and leave the rest to God.


Each one’s praise will come from God
(1 Corinthians 4: 5)

This verse reminded me that yes we all, myself included love to hear compliments from other people and it makes us feel good. And, my situation now is like I’m feeling lousy about myself because even if people don’t say it, somehow the fact that I’ve so few friends and I’m always alone, makes me feel as if people are doing the opposite of praising me. But, in the Bible Paul was not concerned with how people saw Him, instead he knew the truth that it is the Lord who judges us not Man. One day our hearts will be revealed and we will get praise from God, there is no greater compliment than a well done that comes from God, so now, I’m just going try my best each day to live a life pleasing to God and not worry about how people rate me.


If anyone does not provide for his own,
And especially for those of his household,
He has denied the faith and is worst than an unbeliever.
(1 Timothy 5:8)

This reminded me that true love is not about just a feeling, but its also about doing. And, to love God means to love others and so just as we love God, we need to love others by doing not just feeling.


This is my comfort in my affliction, for your word had given me life.
(Psalms 119: 50)


We will inevitably face grief and well tough circumstances in life, but just as by faith, God has washed away our sins, He also promises to wipe away our tears and enjoy healing.


I did not say…,
“Seek Me in vain.”
(Isaiah 45: 19)

God is always the same and is also there for us at the same place, in His word, in prayer, in the voice of the holy spirit that lives within us. The trouble is that we often seek Him in the wrong places, but seek Him where He is at and He promises that you will find Him.


Though your sins are like scarlet,
They shall be as white as snow.
(Isaiah 1:18)

We often think that we are not good enough to go to heaven, but Jesus, by His death has paid the price for our sins, not matter how shameful, salvation is a free gift from God, who died for our sins. We are saved when we receive Jesus by faith…THAT IS THE KEY TO ETERNAL LIFE…FAITH IN GOD ALONE.


The fruit of the spirit is….long suffering.
(Galatians 5: 22)

In this week where I faced so many frustrations, I was impatient and even took it out on others. But, the Bible tells us that patience is a fruit of the spirit, so when we are patient, we show the world what God is like and bring glory to Him. This reminded me to be patient.


You do not know what will happen tomorrow.
For what is your life?
It is even a vapour…
(James 4: 14)

Our lives are short, one of our main purposes in life is to love others so for a limited time only let us do what is right and help others.


That you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
(Ephesians 3: 19)

Our journey through life here on earth is meant to be lived fully. And, all who believe and serve Jesus have available a rich and full life. But, how often do we even experience small parts of full life Christ promised. So, we are to experience all of God and all He has to offer in our lives here.


Do not worry about tomorrow
For tomorrow will worry about its own things.
(Matthew 6: 34)

When we face a difficulty or path in life that seems insurmountable, like the ‘A’ Levels exams for me right now, when we look far ahead at it, it seems to high for us, but if we take it one step at a time, we can overcome it, with God’s help. So, truly, no matter how difficult it looks, I’m going to trust God.


May God of all grace, …after you have suffered a while,
Perfect, establish, strengthen,
And settle you.
(1 Peter 5: 10)

The moment when we receive Christ, we receive the gift of salvation at that very moment, but we don’t immediately become a good person, but growth is a labour of a lifetime.


All we like sheep have gone astray;
We have turned, every one,
To his own way;
And the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.
(Isaiah 53: 6)

We are like sheep and have a tendency to go astray, tts why we need God to guide us and pay the price for our sins, but no matter how far we are in the wrong direction, we can make a U turn and run to God who is a prayer away.


He…sits above the circle of the earth,
and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers.
(Isaiah 40: 22)

When something small is near to us, compared to another thing larger but further away, the smaller thing looks bigger. Our problems in life are just like that, when we face our problems head on, it seems too big to cope with but, we worship a God who is way greater than our greatest problems in life…So next time we face big problems, know that God is greater and can help us overcome anything.


A man of understanding is of calm spirit.
(Proverbs 17: 27)

This past week, I got angry a number of times and had many disagreements. But, we are to have cooler heads and we will prevail. So, before, I’m angry next time, I’ll stop and prayerfully reflect for a moment, and ask God for a calm spirit and the right words to say. For that is how God wants us to deal with fiery situations, to be calm and to say the right things, so that in so doing we glorify God.


The Lord does not see as man sees;
For man looks at the outward appearance,
But the Lord looks at the heart.
(1 Samuel 16: 7)

Just as Paul Potts unexpectedly stunned the audience, with his excellent opera singing, despite his ordinary looks. But, God looks at the heart, so we are not to quickly judge others by their outward appearance but by their hearts, and we might just be surprised by their hearts within. Truly, it may me think about my situation and how perhaps it may seem to others that I’m an unfriendly person or not good enough, but I know the Lord looks at the heart…and I’m really not saying I’m great, but, I’m striving each day to be a man after God’s heart, hopefully, one day people will see the good in me.


Sin lies at the door.
And its desire is for you,
But you should rule over it.
(Genesis 4: 7)

Just as I gave in to feelings of anger and jealousy, and treated others poorly this week, God reminded me that I should control these feelings and its all a matter of choice. So, truly, I just bring my anger to God and ask for His help and His strength to win a victory over it, and so now I know what to do the next time that happens again.


Whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.
(Matthew 16: 25)

Lastly, to accept Jesus as our Lord and saviour, with a commitment to faith in Christ and to follow Christ, is more than just a single step of prayer but it is a lifestyle where we live for God each and every day, it is a life of walking with Christ. So, God really reminded me of why I even live in the first place, to live for God each day.

So, truly, this week, through all my struggles and troubles, it was God’s word that really helped me so much, God really spoke to me thru His word and I’m thankful. To end, truly, GOD’S WORD IS EVER SO REASSURING.

Comments

Popular Posts