The Pursuit of Greatness

When I talk about the pursuit of greatness, I don't mean it in a selfish sort of way or some kind of self-glorification...I'm referring to being able to make a difference in this world and service to others, which glorifies God.

I'm a person who sees things beyond myself...my mindset is one that is with a broader sense of the world. I see everything on a big scale, everything in my life that I aspire to do and be is with the hopes that my life can make a difference much bigger than myself and bigger than this tiny dot on the map.

People say that I'm being way too ambitious, but like deep in my heart and in every one of us is a desire to be great. I can't accept it if I don't make a difference in this world before my life is over...The time in this life we are given is so precious, wouldn't it be such a waste to not make something out of our lives.

I believe many people at my age start to ask themselves what if any significance will their lives have and even question what they have already done with their lives. This feeling comes also as we see a rise in younger people making a name for themselves and make a difference in this world.

However, there is really nothing wrong with ambition it is neither good nor bad, the question is really the motive. God did not create us to be mediocre, he created us with a natural drive to be ambitious. He has a purpose for our lives that goes beyond ourselves.

For me personally, I feel kind of jealous in a way of people who have made difference in this world, it's like their lives seem to have so much more worth. It's sort of like if these people can make a difference in this world, why can't I?

But, I don't know maybe I'm equating worth to the wrong things???

In the book God's Answers To Life's Difficult Questions, there is the mention of Jabez who wanted God to bless him, he wanted something big, he wanted do something significant with my life. He didn't want to be ordinary or common, he deeply wanted God's blessing. There is actually nothing wrong with asking God to bless us, we can never out ask God, in fact He wants us to ask him to bless us. And, really if we do not ask how can we expect to receive.

In my life, there are many things that I can be grateful to God for blessing me with and there are also things that have been taken away from me. But, I admit that sometimes I feel like I want God to bless me more in the sense that I want to achieve my dreams and reaching out to people, to be able to make something of this life, make a difference in this world and live a fulfilling life.

Many people drift through life with no goals, no plan, no purpose or no ambition. But having no dream is drifting, to stop dreaming is to lose direction and to stop setting goals is stop growing. Growing is essential in being an emotionally healthy human. God wants us to stretch and develop and dream God has purpose for your life. The key to success is to discover the purpose and cooperate with it. Life is not intended to be half-hearted, God wants us to have ambitions.

The three misconception when it comes to having ambitions are that:

We often confuse fear with humility. Some people say that they could never do this and that, thinking they are humble, but that is fear and fear is a lack of faith. True humility is saying that with God's help I can do it, with God's blessing I will do it, I may not be able to do it on my own but with God's help I will do it. We may not have the talent but with God nothing is impossible.

Also. contentment does not mean we no goals, no desire or ambition. Contentment is enjoying each day to the fullest even though our goals have not been fulfilled yet.

People tend to equate small thinking with spirituality but why don't we serve God in a bigger way.

Well, the kind of greatness in life I'm talking about achieving in my life is like that of the lives of people such as Nick Vujicic and Joni Eareckson. I face similar situation to them in the fact that I have a disability like them, but both have made such an impact in peoples' lives and inspired so many people. If they can achieve so much in their lives, I feel the desperate need to be able to do the same. And, on the other hand, there are example of young celebrities who have achieved so much in a huge variety of fields at a young age and they make use of their position to give back to the communities round the world. It's easy to question my motives, but it is the position that they are in to be able to make a difference that I envy.

I want to be able to do design, make music, reach out to people and have my own organization to support important causes.


The lyrics of the song I Was Here by Lady Antebellum really express my feelings so aptly:

I wanna do something that matters, say something different
Something that sets the whole world on its ear
I wanna do something better with the time I've been given
I wanna try to touch a few hearts in this life
Leave nothing less than something that says "I was here"

Comments

Popular Posts