Forever Changed...

Just a few days ago, which is just several days before the start of school, I received a call from a person from the school who asked me to consider transferring to another course because of my physical handicap. But, I had already arranged with the school regarding my admission to the course, so it seemed strange that I should be asked to reconsider. The person was talking about being fair to me and what not, and I do agree that he wasn’t in any way discriminating against me because of my condition and he was concern about my ability to cope in the course. However, the encounter has made me realise that I’m no longer living in a bubble but that I’m living in the real world. It’s a good thing on one hand coz now I know I’m on my way to becoming an adult, to face up to the world for what it really is.


But, on other hand, I realise that due to my condition, subconsciously this society is not so gracious, like people with disabilities have a lot of difficulties to overcome in living in the real world, with issues of finding employment and taking care of themselves. And, people sometimes look down on such people with disabilities and they feel that they will struggle coping with life because people have their own idea of the limitations of a disabled person. The truth is that everyone with disabilities has their own unique circumstances and we can’t just generalise them. The best thing is to try to match their abilities in a practical sense to what they want to do.

And, by the way, actually as many examples before, most kids with disabilities are actually very smart and kind individuals because they know what it is like to have difficulties and need help from others, and they know they have to adapt to their circumstances. And, I strongly feel that disabled people should have the right to pursue their dreams and live life as they want. I mean disabled people are the same as everyone else except that they face more challenges in life than others. I admit that disabled people have their limitations and some dreams have to be just dreams. However, I believe that for the most part there are ways and solutions that we can work out to enable disabled people to be as normal as possible and be as independent as possible.

So I must that I hate it when people try to tell me what I can't do just because of my condition...coz I believe we all have a right to fight for our dreams and why should anything stop me from living my life the way I want to...

To me it doesn’t feel right that anything in life like disabilities, setbacks or unfortunate circumstances should hinder anyone from living life to the fullest. And, I feel like where I’m headed in my life now pursuing my passion and my dream course is amazing. Also, for the first time in my life, I’m feel like I’m truly opening myself up more to others and I’m taking the initiative in my life to seize every opportunity and make the most of my life. I know that I’m not the same anymore and that my life is changed forever by the power of God. I’m no longer that shy person that lets opportunities slip by and misses out on everything life has to offer and can made of. I never was able to make my life what I wanted it to be because I didn’t have the courage to step out of my comfort zone and seize the opportunities in life.

So, being given this second chance to do it all again while doing what I love is more than I could ask for and I want to make amends and truly live life to the fullest. But, also I realise that it’s a dog eat dog world out there, and it has spurred me further to fend for myself and take the initiative to do what I want with my life and be independent and know what I want in life and get it. Coz, all my life I relied too heavily on others to make the decisions for me but now I’m determined to make a life for myself. I’m not going to sit back anymore and let life take me where it does; I’m going to life on purpose. And, most importantly, although I am determined to live my life the way I want to and go out and make a life for myself, I say this not because I trust myself but because I trust God and He will give me the courage and strength to step up and live my life to the best of my ability.

To end, I’m just really feeling a change in my life now both outwardly and inwardly, a change for the better. And, I know my life’s gonna get to where I want it to be, where I feel I’m living life to the fullest. I’m finally now breaking out of my shell to seize life with every breath that I breathe and make a life for myself. So I just praise God for everything for I know by His power I am forever changed...

Comments

Popular Posts