The New Reality

The year 2021 hasn't really panned out the way I thought it would in that the pandemic isn't exactly over as I thought it would but having said that we are definitely starting to see the world resume some normalcy with less restrictions, more vaccinated people and travel beginning again. (Although now there's the emergence of the new variants). For me personally, some things have also not gone as I expected but actually the gains I've made as a result of the pandemic in terms of social life and activities have continued to blossom into something bigger. 

The among us gaming sessions turned into backyard gaming sessions which turned into daily google meetings between me and three other members of mdas in what we call our socializing platform. In this group we do our graphic design work with mdas together, chat and play games. As the year wore on we started to include more members so much so we were dubbed a mini virtual mdas.  I also started a pre-physiotherapy game session where we play virtual games for an hour every thursday before our virtual physiotherapy sessions. The disabled christian care group became a disabled christian fellowship and we added some others to the group as well. I thought the social engagements would lose momentum but instead that has continued to get even better.


Employment wise, I had an opportunity to work in the middle of the year but I decided that I rather focus on other things that are meaningful for me such as my engagements with mdas members, participating in mdas events, doing my greeting card design for mdas, organizing some activities with mdas, pursuing my interests and improving my spiritual life. Basically, I have come to terms with not having a job but rather using my time to do things that I like and that I feel are meaningful. In terms of my health, I completed my covid vaccines. I removed my wisdom tooth but decided not to do the bone infusion and decided to start taking medication for the heart. 

Below is a summary of the major events that happened this year:

In February, I joined 3 other mdas members on a whatsapp socializing platform to chat and played backyard, an online conference cum gaming platform. Unfortunately backyard ceased by the 2nd half of the year but of course by the time I already became close with the group and we continued our interactions.


In march, as the covid situation improved we returned to the mdas centre physically which culminated with the president's visit to mdas. Shortly after however we had to return to staying at home again as infection rose again. 

In july, we had mdas compass camp for kids which was online and I got involved as a game facilitator.  


Then in august to celebrate national day we did another virtual choir, singing we will get there. I also celebrated a virtual birthday party, which was really fun coz I could interact with so many friends through the games.

In october, there was the sunburst concert which I joined for the first time though practice was at home virtually and was recorded physically on a single day to create a virtual concert.

 

Then, I had a virtual halloween party where we played among us which I really enjoy but can't always get enough friends to play together which I was happy I could on the pretext of a party.

In november, was engineering good's tech4good festival day which concluded a 3 month hackathon for students to design solutions for disabled beneficiaries. It was done on gathertown an interesting virtual platform that allows one to move in a virtual space and video conference at the same time. I help build a virtual booth for mdas.


Then, my friend boon keng had a book launch for his journey to find love despite of his condition of dmd which I have to. Also, my mum published her book being milford where she drew an illustrated book about my toy monkey and taking care of me growing up with muscular dystrophy.

In december, we concluded 12 weeks of fun engagements with smu student volunteers.


Finally, the last event of the year was the mdas gala.


The year came to an end with Christmas and New Year's parties, with most of the family since two of my siblings came home from overseas after 2 years away due to covid.




To end, the new reality for me this year was having much more friends and social interactions thanks to restrictions due to covid and things going online through technology. Also, coming to terms with my life situation to focus on my friendships and spiritual life and doing things I wanna do, to try to make an impact through my involvement with mdas rather than chase after a career. 






Comments

Popular Posts