Remember September

This is a post I was going to post on Jan 7 2011...but I only finished it today which is the 1st of March 2011.

So in the first month of 2011, while I was sick at home. The movie A Walk to Remember was on HBO, and so since I was too sick to do much else apart from rest and feeling bored, I decided to watch it. Of course, not that I didn't really want to watch coz it has been one of those movies that I did enjoy before, but I was like thinking it was going to be no fun since I watched it before. But anyway, i decided to watch it.

And, somehow having watched the movie many times before, it still touched me the way it did when I watched it some years ago. I just felt more than ever that I felt a connection with the movie. I read that the movie was based on a true story of a girl who was sick but met a guy who was willing to marry her even though she might not make it. This is the kind of love I've been writing about...not too long ago I mentioned in a status of mine on facebook that...

If we would live and see beyond circumstances only when we face circumstances in our lives, then we have to seriously question why we can't live like that in the first place, coz by doing so, we live life in its most purest sense...

What I meant was that people tend to live their lives a certain way but only when something happens do they change the way they live. Well, let's say for example someone gets married with someone and one party meets with an accident that disables that person. Are we still willing to accept this person? Well, it is easy to walk out but it would be too cruel to do that and I'm not saying it is a by any means a easy decision to stay on and I respect anyone who has such love that is unconditional. But, my question is if that person had already been in that condition before meeting the other person, would we still accept that person?

My opinion is that too often people tend to have certain boundaries on what they are willing to accept. But, the fact that there are certain things and people we are not willing to accept show that we are looking at life through tinted glasses. We are prejudiced against certain people and things. Of course, when it comes to right and wrong, it is clear that wrong cannot be accepted and right is what should be accepted. So my focus is on accepting differences not pertaining to right and wrong. So how can anyone be truly living or truly loving until we can live in a way that is beyond circumstances. My view is that there needs to be consistency in the way we live our lives, something seems fundamentally wrong if we change ourselves until we face difficult circumstances. But, then again, maybe that just the way we learn and become better people. That's why we face this life that is so difficult, it is like the training to become the people God wants us to be.

So what is living life in it's purest sense? I believe it is living life with an open heart and placing no conditions to the way we love and way we work. We should do everything, not for the sake of it but out of an honest and sincere place. And, i think that should be out of the love of God that overflows from within us and the passion and talents God has bestowed upon us. This is because the moment we place conditions for the person we like to be with then we are not truly loving, coz to love someone is to love because you love. And, in life we do not have to meet certain requirements for us to be happy and successful. It is about facing whatever life throws at us and everything we do is only for the goal of bringing glory to God. And, as long as we have given our best to serve the Lord be it for the church and in the secular world, that is the best we can ask for.

So how is this relevant to me? Well, the movie talks about the fulfillment of the girl's dying wishes and about unconditional love. I know that we never know how long we will live in this life here on earth but the truth is that in the condition I have, I will probably have a shorter life span than an average person and on top of that I face huge challenges in life. I just sometimes wish that one day I can experience this kind of love. And, really there is so much in this life I want to do before the end of my life...maybe it is selfish, but really don't we all have a right to find our own happiness. I mean like life would be perfect if everyone could live in such a pure sense...but I don't know if it's possible in such an imperfect world, I like to believe so...

On that note, I must say that the recent story on american idol of Chris Medina and how he showed such love for his fiance to stay with her even in the face of the condition she was in after her accident. And, recently I watched a show on TV called breakthrough, where a man who became paralysed on his wedding night and his wife continued to take care of him...so the show helped them to regained their lives and find intimacy in the relationship again despite the challenges. So perhaps, there is truly a love like that...

If only we could live like that from the very start...

As a side note, the show a walk to remember also reminded of some of the music that was really nice at that time. From the movie itself, my two favourite songs are Cry by Mandy Moore and Dare You To Move by Switchfoot.

Comments

Popular Posts