The Simple Truth

This post was to be posted on the 16 of Jan, but I only finished it today on the 1st of March. Alot has happened between that time to now...I fully recovered from my flu, a week after the 16th of January.

Ok, I know I said I was well already last week, i.e. the 7th of January. And, I said I was feeling so great. Well, it really didn't last...I finally went back to school on the 10th, after feeling slightly better during the weekend, although I still was not fully recovered. So yea, I was pretty stressed about missing the whole week and worried I was not getting better. However, though I did continue to feel sick for most of the week, with my on and off coughing episodes, I made it through the week and yea I'm almost completely recovered already. This time it's for real, so thank God I'm really finally ok again.

But, really, I don't know why but during last week being back in school and all. I just felt so like upset with everything and everything just seem to be going wrong. So yea, that's why i just like said I was disappointed with everything, this world, people, my life and everyone. I don't know why I said those things, just felt really depressed, I didn't think at first it was coz I was sick but certainly it was part of the reason. Just recently, my life has been very different, from my jc days to the gap year, to studying in poly. And, I'm changing as a person as I grow up. Somehow, my simple mindset has started to be clouded by worldly pressures. I just have put so much pressure on myself to do well in school coz, I didn't go to university and I really want to make it there again. And, I'm like behind all my peers, well, the guys would be overtaking me soon by mid this year and of course the rest of the gals are like finishing.

You know, everyday i still ask myself if I made the right decision going to poly, coz I could have gone to the uni for other courses, but to pursue product design, I'm taking a longer route, coz there would have been another option of retaking a's and truth is I would have made it in perhaps another country. I was like questioning myself, like why am i not so smart, like I've always been slower than many of my other classmates or peers perhaps, and like it's only now that I'm in poly that I'm finally understanding what I'm actually learning. So it gives me pressure when I feel like I'm starting to face difficulties in catching my subjects as quickly again. And, i feel that my whole social issue, having trouble fitting in with people seems to be back, just when I thought I was doing better with my current classmates. I just sometimes feel like this world is cruel coz i've always found it hard to fit being different. So like my flu, probably just made me tired and so suddenly feel so negative. But, all that is now over, and I'm feeling positive and well again.

This Sunday's message at church kind of reminded me about something important relating to my feeling the pressure to be successful in the way the world perceives it. The message was about obeying God and doing  what is right, to surrender to God, and do what He wants us to do, to reach out and love others. That, this should be a natural outpouring of God's love in us. And, the speaker mentioned about, living a simple life and avoiding the pitfalls of materialsim. And, I realised that why am I so hung up about going to university anyway and wanting to do well, not that it is a bad thing but sometimes it can become too important. I needed to bring myself back to what really matters, that really I should be content with doing what the Lord wants me to do and it's not about how smart I am, how good I am or how successful in life, like life is only about doing what God wants me to do and that is the best life possible.

And one other thing I learned from the message is about service to God, to reach out to others, to help others in need just as in this verse:

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
Matthew 25:35 


And, the significance for me is what it says at the end of the chapter that the righteous, referring to those who did these things as above will have eternal life. So, what it means is not that we need to do these things to have eternal life but it is that when we put our faith in Jesus Christ, we are forgiven of our sins and the holy spirit is in us. And, in experiencing this love that the Lord has shown us, we experience a natural out pouring of love that is expressed by service to God through helping and loving others. So it reminds us that as Christians of te importance of service.


In this world today, where everyone is chasing success, be it the american dream, the singapore dream or whatever dream, it is important to remind ourselves that what truly makes a difference in life is not how intelligent we are or how successful, it is a life lived in service to God. It is alright to chase our dreams, and be successful and in doesn't matter whether as a full time missionary or in the secular world, the most important thing is that we have a heart of service toward God and Man, and that we live soley for the glory of God in all these things.

Comments

Popular Posts