Blossoming to Life in 2023

 2023 has been real roller coaster ride with some unexpected new highs and new lows all in one year but overall in the grand scheme of things it was an even more amazing year in my life with many new milestones and growing as a person. I thought last year was great but this year surprised me by being even better than I ever imagined. I achieved most of my goals for 2023 and beyond albeit a few that I missed out on. 


I started 2023 with a new year gathering with my church young adults care group. I managed to visit a few places with my brother's family before they flew back to Australia. Then I was able to set up my xbox gaming controller to finally play fifa again on my computer. Celebrated a fairly quiet chinese new year. Next, I connected with Elisa the inclusive fashion designer to get help with altering my hoodie to be able to cover part of my bipap. Had a meal together at my place though I initially didn't realize she was suggesting having a meal. I took part in my first ever boccia competition participating in the Tiger Balm National Boccia Championships coming in a respectable 4th place being my first ever competition and a few months after picking up the sport. Then, had a first outing with friends jolene and kay choong who I known for a few years before but never really hangout before so I finally got a chance to know them better. Just as things were going great the family was hit with covid infection after my dad caught it possibly from his badminton session and passed it to rest of the family including myself. Initially I thought I was going to miss my dinner to celebrate sg enable's 10th anniversary but I remarkably managed to recover and test negative by the 4th day in time for the dinner but it took 2 weeks to get my voice back. Back at mdas we had our next round of ambassador training where we wrote stories and poems to share and culminated in a mini event at the centre where we invited friends to come.  I had my artwork for national day become part of the Paint it Forward event at the waterway point mall. I got the help of our church pastor to have a seekers group with brothers and sisters from our young adults group to share the gospel with some of my fellow friends I know through mdas. We didn't go through the actual training but I thank God we were still able to do it. And we had an in person gathering to conclude the 5 sessions. Then I had the opportunity to visit the google office to recruit volunteers for mdas. KC and I had dinner with Elisa. We continued to have more outings this time mookata with ephraim, jolene and KC. I was nominated to represent mdas as part of the purple parade committee. I got complimentary tickets to watch the purple symphony because of my involvement in the committee and after having the courage to ask around I managed to get tickets to go with tasmeen one of the smu volunteers we got to know a year back. I know it was just as a volunteer making an effort to join me and get to know a beneficiary but it meant alot to me coz I never had the chance in my life to like go out with a girl to watch or do something before and although wasn't that kind of a situation, it at made me feel a little bit like that for a moment. Some friends of mdas organized a bbq/karaoke at the NSHomeTeam clubhouse in bedok and it was my first time singing karaoke with mdas friends. I had aashini an indian american engineer from new york who was doing a project for persons with muscular dystrophy and who volunteered with mdas boccia for awhile come over to my place for lunch before she left for her phd at mit. She made me vegetarian curry which I couldn't really appreciate but to be fair it probably was pretty good. Honestly, not who I was expecting to be the first girl coming over to my place other than for school project or maybe a children's party but grateful to have a girl over at my place cooking for me.  Next I had my second boccia competition in the form of pesta sukan which I managed to win my medal and a silver nonetheless and a proud moment for my helper as my ramp assistant too. I went to watch spurs, liverpool and bayern play at the sportshub and met bayern players. Celebrated my birthday with the surprise of my sister flying back just to celebrate with me. Also had a gathering with friends and birthday celebration. At play inclusive, I got to play in boccia competition with a student volunteer. Again I was involved in gtd carnival. Had another dcf gathering. I went to see the williams f1 popup store and got to hear the cars zooming by while having tea at a cafe. Then I had another outing with  jolene and kc and one with william together as well for mid autumn festival. Then I had an outing with boon keng for the stranger things experience. After that it was engineering good's tech for good festival for the 3rd time and I was happy with the project outcome and was happy to connect with people in the industry. Then, we had the first keppel capital outing to bird paradise. Then, I went to catch my first musical at the sands theatre with the show and juliet. I had mookata with the guys. I caught the taylor swift concert movie. Then, we had the purple parade. The next outing with keppel capital was to play board games at the mind cafe. I was nominated for two awards at the sdsc awards. We performed the song at the gala. Our final outing was to the sea aquarium. Then I went to sentosa to see the wb event. To top things all of we had our dcf Christmas party which was amazing. Unfortunately I was hospitalised with a chest infection. I thought I was going to die but I survived. I made it in time for christmas eve and day dinner with the family. Finally my year ended with a visit to the immersive disney animation and lunch at koma with my sister.  


Goals Checklist

The goals I achieved:  

  1. Did song for gala
  2. Successful eg project
  3. Settled new wheelchair
  4. Got medal in pesta sukan boccia
  5. Got guard power soccer
  6. Set up xbox adaptive controller
  7. Organized gatherings for dcf

Goals I Failed to Achieve: 

  1. Church and bible study
  2. Collab with sky shen and wheelsmith
  3. Artably


Comments

Popular Posts