A New Normal

Well, the last time I wrote here was in late February, where the first early clusters of Covid-19 formed. I was talking about how all the bad things were happening around the world especially with Covid-19, and it was beginning to feel like the end of the world. Little did I know things were going to get much worst and the world would be changed forever.

So basically, the clusters started to form, returning citizens brought the virus and soon the foreign worker cases shot up and we were sent into semi-lockdown. At the same time, the virus spread globally, number of cases grew exponentially, deaths increased and most countries went into lockdown. In the early days of the virus, I had a strong urge to still go out. Then as the situation worsened, I got worried. I only went out for class on Saturdays and attended MDAS. Since then, we went into lockdown and I could not go out at all but slowly I began to get used to this new way. For many people the lockdown has been very difficult, but thankfully it has been fine for me. I have also not felt a strong urge to go out anymore. This is probably due to the fact that I realise how serious it is especially for a vulnerable person like me with muscular dystrophy and also that the folks at MDAS have kept us busy with online activities. So, what have I been up to since circuit breaker and how have things changed?

So, my parents are working from home and all my classes and activities have gone online. Of course, video conferencing is the thing now that is enabling all this to happen. Anyway, nowadays I have Bridge programme with MDAS on Monday via Skype which involves, graphic design lessons where we design greeting cards, we also had public speaking classes on every alternate Monday via Skype which ended already. 



On Thursdays, we have virtual physiotherapy and play the scribbl game.



 I also did a submission of acrylic pouring for MDAS Art competition. I've also been playing facebook games with friends. On Fridays I have young adults care group on zoom. On Saturdays I have a virtual digital marketing class. On Sundays, I have virtual church service. Other special things I've done was take part in a group recording of the song Heal the world with an alumni of SOTA and MDAS members.



 I also had a special Houseparty session with staff from Keppel Capital and was interviewed about it.



In the midst of all of this, at home we had a number of bad things happen. Both my grandmothers were hospitalised for awhile. My mum too had been hospitalized too. The mask from my bipap breathing device was spoiled and had to be replaced. A pipe in our toilet burst in the middle of the night. But, thank God everything eventually has settled. As for my health issue, I had an 8 weeks course of antibiotics but it did not solve my issue. The good news however is that one of the medications I had been given helped a little so at least there is a small improvement and my constipation issue has also improved. On the job front, I will be doing a training for a digital marketing job and if I pass the assessment, I will get a digital marketing job which is work from home.

Now as we emerge from this circuit breaker, I am well aware that it would be much longer still before I can start going back outside for my usual activities and going places, and I also know that something's will never be the same again. We will be in a new normal. But I guess, the changes will be for the better, such as telecommuting helping me to have employment. Just that I think even when I finally can safely be out again I may need to slowly adjust back as well. Hopefully, I can still be on track with my goals for the year.


Comments

Popular Posts