An Inspirational Experience...

Well, I’ve been away for the past 9 days in KL for the 5th Asean Para Games 2009 and boy has it been an amazing experience. I’ve almost forgotten how my life was before this, and nothing in the past few months before this seems to matter anymore. All the unhappy things from the week before have past and it is no longer on mind. It’s like I’m beginning on a new page, a new chapter in my life and yes there has been many important realisations about life and my faith that I’ve had through the good and the bad times, and have wrote about it in my blog but much of it was very intrapersonal, reflective and kinda dark and sad at times.

The troubles in my life has made me stronger, but now the Asean Para Games has brought me to another level, and here I am now writing with this new found confidence and openness, about something more than myself, something positive, something new, something different, something greater and that is an important event in my life, being the Asean Para Games, which will be a precursor of greater things to come, since this was my debut. This is something inspiring and life-changing, and I never knew sport had so much power to do that, and I thank God for the opportunity to be part of something special, as much as I was unsure about it all at first, whether I wanted it or not, but now this is what I want.

I didn’t and couldn’t grasp what it meant to be taking part in the Asean Para Games and never thought I would ever stand a chance to do well for the Singapore. Now, what seems like a far- fetched dream or idea of glory is within reach, if I had known I could compete earlier on, I would have been more involved, so now it is a good step for me moving forward as I now see the glimmer of hope to bring honour to the country. I guess, I’ll have to wait till the next time to compete again hopefully.

And, like being the new comer I’ve learnt allot from the experience, which I don’t think even the regulars can’t have enough of this experience. But, really like what I was told, being in the situation that I like many others are in, we are not as exposed and so we tend to close ourselves up, however, sports and events on this scale like the Paralympics, gives all an opportunity to succeed and opens up a whole new world. This is exactly how I’ve felt about the Asean Para Games and I know I’ve still got a lot of work to do and I need to open myself up even more, but I think it now seems closer and more possible than ever for me. Sure, I could have done better, and worked harder to prepare for this year’s event that has already come to a close, but how was I to know what it meant and whether I wanted it.

Of course, I wished I had done better and with more training I would have done way better, and I do feel disappointed to an extent that others achieved while I haven’t. But, I don’t regret just because others have done well, and regret that like if only I had done more. That is because I wasn’t sure if this is what I really wanted and really there are so many other factors. It could be an excuse that this is my first time, but I’m out to prove that it isn’t and I know I’ll better next time, as our team head told me that I shouldn’t worry and that it is because it is m first time and so I didn’t do better, coz I lack the exposure, and he said that honestly as all have experienced, therefore it would be fair to say next time I’ll do better and at my first it was reasonable that I didn’t do better. For I know whether I win or not this time I have brought glory to God, played with passion and done my nation proud.

Now then, it all began on the 12th, my mum, dad and I took a cab to the Sports Council, and there many of the athletes, officials and caregivers had already assembled. After some waiting, we were given a speech and a group photo taken. We then set out for the bus ride to KL, after taking great pains to get everyone in. The bus left at about 9 plus, and it took till 11 before we cleared customs and thankfully we didn’t have to get down from the bus. After about two stops and a long 4-5 hours journey, we arrived at the Summit Hotel at about 3plus in the afternoon. For the rest of the day, it was just rest and we had dinner. That was Day 1.

Next, on Day 2, we had to go for classifications at the Stadium Putra in Bukit Jahlil, we took the Rapid KL bus which had like empty spaces for wheelchairs, and a ramp to go up. And, we didn’t have anything on Day 3 except for training.

And, on Day 4, the 5th Asean Para Games got officially underway, for my chess tournament we got up at 5 plus and was ready to board the bus at 7am, but it had already left. So in the end, we got a ride on the basketballers’ bus to get to the venue and we had trouble finding the way. Luckily, we found the way in time. And, I got to my table ready to play and in good spirits.
The first game I played against a thai player and managed to play a good game that I was pleased with, winning with a nice combination. The best I’ve played in a long time. After that, I played the top seed, and I didn’t understand the idea of minority attack that he used and lost, but I fought my best. And, during that game, some of the officials came to see me play and take some photographs. And, it was a long tiring day.

Day 5, we got up this time at 5 to catch the bus at 6:30 and got to the playing hall early. I played the third game against the third Pilipino player, and I played a good game and got into a better position close to end game, but late into the game when all the other games had finished, I blundered a rook, the only consolation was that I had a good tactical idea with my move, just that I forgot about the obvious capture. I was very upset. Then, in the fourth game, I played the Malaysian, and I blundered a pawn just after the opening and went exchange down, but I fought back for a draw. And, the fifth game, was against the other thai player, and I was in a good position and went a pawn up, but I made a positional error which gave my opponent counter play and I made a mistake and lost, but I fought to the end. It was a disappointing end to the crucial day of competition, and my medal hopes faded.

But on Day 6, I fought hard to end the competition respectably and did so in style. At the end of the competition, I was 8th out of 12 but, I knew that I had played very well and was just unfortunate that I made a few mistakes which were fatal. However, I still believe I did my country proud, playing better than what I have been in recent months. And, the medal ceremony was a proud moment as almost everyone won a medal, because others had other team members while I didn’t. But, it was also a sad moment for me, nonetheless I did respectably and will come back again to do better.

On Day 7, since I had completed my chess tournament, I went to watch the swimmers at the pool and there were gold medals won, a proud moment for them and the country, I was happy for them.

And, on Day 8, I went shopping with my parents for the day, and then attended the closing ceremony, which was very grand, and contrary to what I expected, it was exciting and glorious. The best part was moving out into the middle of the crowded stadium in the presence of audiences and VIP’s and with the country flags flying high and people waving. I never knew that sport could mean this much and the passion was unbelievable, I mean I’m a sports fanatic and I have a passion for sports, but to see the energy in the stadium was unlike any other feeling in the world. It made me really grateful to be a part of it. Now I know why I would want to continue to be a part of it. Imagine if I won, I would help the chess federation, become an instant sensation, make a name for myself and bring glory to God, family and nation. I thought it was like any other sporting competition, focussed on sport alone, but there is more to it than just sport, that was the key thing for me that I learned, it is about national pride and triumph of the human spirit. It is such a big thing and can definitely change lives, and that is truly what sports can do.

Finally, on Day 9, we set out in the afternoon and got home late at night to flashing lights from the cameras and a speech and a group photo. And that was it...the great experience of the 5th Asean Para Games.

At this point, I don’t know what else I could say, the experience of the Asean Para Games has just left me speechless and without any more words, it has been so surreal. All I can say to conclude this post is that it has been a wonderful experience, and has opened up the world to me in a way. I just have so many thoughts about the Para games that I’m lost as to what to say. The thing is that it really made me realise despite my disability it doesn’t mean I can’t achieve and do the things that normal people can. And, it is not like I never knew that but really I realise now that it is possible for me in my condition to live the life of my dreams and achieve, like my disability shouldn’t hold me back from being who I am and from doing all I want to do, it shouldn’t be a limitation to living the life I want to live. And, now I see that there are many organisations in Singapore can help to make it possible to do what I’ve always wanted to do and that is to not let my disability hold me back from living life to the fullest. I always thought that being part of the organisations for the disabled was seeing myself as different but now I realise that it is actually is a means by which the disabled can overcome the obstacles. And the Para Games is just one way to live that dream, because it is more than just sports, more than just the glory of winning, but a way to live it up beyond all the barrier of disability which is no longer one.

To end, the Asean Para Games has been a real and amazing experience for me and hopefully the start of something in my life. To not only compete and hopefully win next time round but more than that, to change my life by being more exposed to the world and to live the life of my dreams and not let my disability hold me back, because disability should never disable, disable one from living life to the fullest. So, truly the Asean Para Games has been an unforgettable experience for me and I’m grateful for it and I hope to continue to take part in it.

Comments

Popular Posts